Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Random Memory

I had to read Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut as part of my summer reading requirement for AP Lit. I got it from the library in this huge anthology that I'd really like to own, except that I'm not kidding when I say it was huge. It was probably pretty funny seeing me carry that giant book around. But that's besides the point.

One night in July, I was reading on the couch late at night and I fell asleep. This happens often when I try to read late at night, and I usually wind up having a dream that relates to what I was reading.

I awoke to a late-night news program about a fully automated supermarket. You thought that self-checkouts were scary? You have obviously never seen this. The carts were computerized and could help you find anything you needed. They had little scanners so you could scan products to find information about them. Then, of course, there were self-checkouts. I think there was one person in the store just to make sure that nothing was going wrong. The news said that one of these stores would be opening soon and that they might become more popular in the next few years.

In context, it scared the shit out of me.

By morning, I assumed that the news program had been a dream. It seemed a bit too outlandish, not to mention too coincidental, to be true.

About a week later, I told the story to my mom. She told me that she saw the news program because she was half asleep in her chair.

Oh my God.

*cue Twilight Zone music*

No comments:

Post a Comment